Tuesday, January 28, 2014

WIP + a handy tip

So this is a detail from a new painting I have started (the abstract from Sunday's post was on the sideline today). I was unsure where to go with the colour behind the branches. So out came my trusty acetate. I learned this tip from fellow artist Laurie Wonfor Nolan. When you are faced with indecision tape a piece of clear acetate or mylar on your painting and paint away. Stand back and check it out. Remove the acetate and wash it off for the next time. Up top you can see me lifting the corner of the film. Below are a couple other colours I tried.
Presto. I made my decision and have started working into the background of the painting below.


7 comments:

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Kim...thanks for sharing this and your thought process!

suzanneberry said...

Wow! What a wonderful idea!! And so simple! Thank you for sharing this! And another incredible work of art in progress. When I first saw the top image, I thought your hand was part of the painting which also looked very cool!

Unknown said...

Great idea, Kim.
I teach on Thursdays and have a few students painting with acrylic.
I'll pass this on to them, and let them know about your blog, and beautiful art.

Sandra Busby said...

That is a genius idea!!!! Thank you so much for sharing! And I think you made a good choice of colour :0)

Nicki said...

Great idea! And I like your choice! :)

Barbara Muir said...

Love this and the tip. The painting is beautiful.

XOXOXO Barbara

Debra said...

What a great idea - thanks for sharing that Kim! This is going to be another beautiful painting...loving it already :)