So I sliced open the tomato and *surprise*! There were a handful of seeds inside that had tiny little roots and from the other end...sprouts! Two of the sprouts were even topped with baby leaves. I'd never seen this before. I did an online search and sure enough, others have had it happen too. And then, as these things go, it happened twice more in the following weeks. Weird. So I did the thing many of us were taught to do in grade school - with the bean seeds - and wrapped them between a damp paper towel and a jar and set it near the window. The roots grew longer and the stems shot a little higher.
Regarding the technical aspect of the painting: Bumpy jam jars with rolled up wet paper towel, lit from behind, gave me a bit of a workout : ) Part 3 on Monday.