Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Altered Altoids Kits

Hoping everyone has slid into the New Year feeling good, creative, productive and at peace in their hearts. Today I'm showing something different from my paintings, hope you don't mind! Now that Christmas has come to a close I wanted to tell you about some gifts I made: altered Altoids kits. I had so much fun making them I thought some of you might like to try it too! I came across the idea in a magazine and then did an online search for a few tips. Here's what I came up with. 
These are (tongue-in-cheek) "Urban Emergency" kits. I geared the contents to the age of the recipient. The younger set had age appropriate items. Kits for the older set contained: a mirror, a quarter, a lighter (non-smokers all, but thought it was good in case of an emergency), mini toothbrush, breath freshner, ibuprofen, mints, dental floss, safety pins, Post-it Notes, and a finger-light (a fun device I found at the dollar store). It's impressive what you can pack into a tin that size! One box I made was from a tin of Sucrets. They are a little deeper so I was able to add a tea light candle.
Here's how I put them together:
1. Trace the tin top and bottom on good quality paper. I used scrapbooking paper. Make 2 tracings of each because you line the inside as well (the interior ones are cut just a tiny bit smaller to fit). Use a sharp craft knife so you get clean edges.
2. Adhere the paper to the tin by painting a thin layer of paste (I used an acrylic gel medium), then press and smooth paper over tin, smoothing out any air bubbles.
3. Measure the side height of the tin and cut a long strip to wrap around the edge (if you want to cover it). Only cut the paper to the height of where the lid closes. Paste so that the seam falls at the back of the tin. Smooth.
4. Paste the paper on the inside so that your tin is lined. 
I glued mirrors to the inside lid. I found small mirror "tiles" at the dollar store.
You can get pretty creative with what you put in your tin. Ideas I read included an emergency s'more kit, an instant party kit and a game kit. Fun, eh?

7 comments:

Diane Hoeptner said...

Oh my gosh, TOO fun, love!!! They are gorgeous, I bet your recipients were just delighted. Hey: Happy painting to you in the new year, Kim!!

Pam Holnback said...

I love these! What a great idea!

Charlevoix Sax Quartet said...

Clever girl! Besides making them as gifts, it makes me think I should make one for MYSELF!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Nice IDEA!
I use the small Altoids for a vitamin/pill box.

Cathy Amos said...

Love the idea! Happy New Year - hope to see you on a painting excursion soon!!

Unknown said...

what a great idea Kim. They look quite posh with the decorative paper you used. thanks for sharing your fun gift ideas.

Barbara Muir said...

Cool Kim.

XO Barbara