Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thaw on the Niagara Escarpment

My father considered a walk among the mountains as the equivalent of churchgoing. 
 ~Aldous Huxley
I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits, unless I spend four hours a day at least - and it is commonly more than that - sauntering through the woods and over the hills and fields, absolutely free from all worldly engagements. 
 ~Henry David Thoreau
Done! I had started this painting a while back and it sat half-finished in my studio. Today I finished it up. This is a section of the Niagara Escarpment. We hike here all the time and I love it in every season. In fact, I painted a similar view of this scene back in 2010. It was a small oil called "Precipice" and is sold (below).
24"x30" / acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas / $750

5 comments:

cohen labelle said...

I remember this painting from an earlier stage, and thought it was splendid then and now doubly so. Wonderful light in the sky and the ascent from warm to cool.

Barbara Muir said...

This is a beauty. You are an amazing artist moving from abstract to landscape with such ease. I just love your work.

XO Barbara

Karin Lynn... said...

This type of work looks like your "signature." You do it so well. The under painting, the colours , the composition and the general "feeling" it evokes are lovely.....you must sell these quickly. What a great artist you are.....

Crystal Cook said...

I do really love this painting Kim. There's something about it that really strikes me. I think it's the colors but it could also be the movement of the tree branches, or the colorful ground showing through the snow. :) Love it. And I remember that smaller painting I love that one too!!

Diane Hoeptner said...

This one is nothing short of spectacular. That felled tree + red at the bottom is so killer, LOVE, love, love it!