Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Self-portrait

After seeing Carol Marine's funny, terrific self-portrait for this week's Daily Paintworks Challenge, I decided to try it myself. I was doing a bit of a silly half-smile/smirk but man...it's tougher than it looks! I had a mirror propped up on my easel - next time I may try taking a picture of myself and going that route. But it was a great challenge! Portraits are exciting - you never know which way they're going to take you.
6" x 6" / oil on archival panel / $100 (includes free shipping worldwide)









11 comments:

Mermaid's Palette said...

Awesome, Kim! Your skin tones are really good- and I think we all know how difficult a self portrait is!

Anonymous said...

Kim...how challenging for you to do a self portrait ...and then from life. Good for you. Love your brushstrokes.

Mary Anne Cary said...

Great job Kim. Really spontaneous!

gary cooper said...

Great, fresh self portrait Kim!

Kathy Cousart said...

I love the eyes in this. I am hoping to try this one later this week! Beautiful!

Crystal Cook said...

I am going to use a word to describe your painting that I don't throw around lightly, this painting is, in a word, AWESOMESAUCE!

Truly fantastic Kim! Your skills know no bounds, each painting you post amazes me even more than the last. :) :):)

Arianna said...

You have a nice expression! Arianna

Jerry Stocks said...

Love everything about this painting.

Nicki said...

Well done! I like how it is fresh- no areas are belaboured and I like the composition; the negative spaces are very interesting.

JanettMarie said...

Fantastic!

Stephanie Berry said...

One of my favorites! Like your choice of color and the free look of it.