Thursday, November 22, 2012

Mist

This is a plein air piece I painted in the woods this week. There were lots of trees in the background and leaves and twigs carpeting the forest floor. At first I had more detail in but when I stood back I realized I didn't want it - that it was taking away from the feel of the piece. Now it is simpler, but more dramatic. It's all about editing, right? 
Here is a close up of the trunk in the foreground.
By the way, people often ask me what plein air means. It is simply painting in "the open air" or more commonly, painting outdoors. 
12"x12" / acrylic on canvas
And just another friendly reminder. Come shop, sip and savour THIS weekend!



3 comments:

Sandra Busby said...

I agree that it doesn't need more detail - It makes the whole thing more dramatic. It's wonderful! :0)

Barbara Muir said...

Wish I could make it to the Market. Sounds amazing. Love this painting and your description of your process.

XO Barbara

Carol Schiff Daily Painting said...

You are so right Kim...don't touch this piece again! Gorgeous work.