Wednesday, March 27, 2013

In the studio + an elegant explanation

acrylic on stretched canvas / 11"x14"
This is perhaps the most elegant, succinct quote on appreciating/understanding abstract painting I've ever come across. This is an excerpt from Painters Eleven: The Wild Ones of Canadian Art by Iris Nowell (published by Douglas & McIntyre). Nowell states:
Crucially for me, I learned that appreciating Abstract Expressionist art begins with surrender, by allowing a painting to possess you. Once this occurs, you stop looking for symbols or messages or meanings and experience instead rhythm, energy, power, grace.
She says more, which is also quite wonderful, but for today I'll leave it at that : )

2 comments:

Barbara Muir said...

Beautiful. I love your painting and quote. Even possessed I am still anchored in the world of faces, symbols and messages.

Your work is magnificent. I am such a fan. Dazzled.

XO Barbara

Joan Serinyà said...

Magnificas creaciones!! Colores y texturas danzan en perfecta armonía. Te felicito! Y me hago seguidor de tu blog para seguir contemplando tu Arte!! Un cordial saludo.