Friday, November 27, 2009

1950s Santa - SOLD

This is my favourite from the week so far. Technically, I'm really happy with how it turned out. When I grabbed this one to paint, there was a hole in the back that made me assume it had been a piggy bank. I was wrong (you'll see what it was for a few sentences further). This Santa is also holding a cup in his left hand, maybe for small candies?
Notes from the collector: This guy came to me via a garage sale in front of a little house in Naramata B.C. If you turn him around, you'll see a hole that most people assume indicates a piggy bank. Actually it's a port for a small Christmas tree light. These were the mainstay of my youth. Most homes had them. Plastic was cutting edge technology and inexpensive.
6" x 6" / oil on panel / $65 / SOLD

1 comment:

cathy said...

We had one at home when I was a kid and I think Santa held a sign saying Merry Christmas. I now have one from my husband's side and he says his Santa held a small Christmas tree, unfortunately a long lost Christmas tree.