Sunday, April 18, 2010

Peter

And now for something totally different: a portrait - in watercolour. I haven't touched watercolour in, well, it's got to be about 10 years. So yeah - this piece has been with me for a while. On Sundays I take the day off and post something from my website but not usually this old! I'm always trying to simplify, and in this portrait I did something I had never been able to do before: squint and block things in, keeping it all to a minimum, just trying to say what needed to be said. Now, I was no master in watercolour (as evidenced in the background wash) but I had finally "got" something portrait-wise without looking totally streaky and overworked. Isn't it great when something flows? And don't you wish you could bottle it? ; )

5 comments:

Linda Popple said...

This is really nice, Kim. I did some watercolor a few years ago so I know how difficult it is. Wonderful job of breaking your subject into shapes. I like your colors, too. Nice job!

Crystal Cook said...

Look at that cool portrait!! Very expressive and great colors :)

I love it when things flow like that, why can't it happen like every day? *sigh*

And that is one of the reasons I love to paint portraits in full sunlight, because it is much easier to get a likeness when you have simple shapes to deal with. Which of course you knew, "master of light" Kim :)

Ralph said...

I wish you could bottle your talent and send some my way Kim. Striking looking portrait

Kerri Settle said...

Nice blast from the past! I've kept away from watercolors because I just know it'll be a hard love experience for me.

Anonymous said...

hey I never knew you paint such fantastic portraits