Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New Blog Feature + ARTLOVE: John Kenn

artwork above and below by John Kenn
I couldn't get in to the studio today so I worked on improving my blog. I'd experimented with this feature a while back but now I think I've finally got it the way I want it. I hope you find it enjoyable + useful! So without further ado... (drum roll please.....)
TABS!
I created these for you to be able to see at a glance some of my available paintings sorted into different categories. So...you'd like to buy a food painting for your kitchen? Presto! Some flowers for your bathroom? I've got an app for that! (sorry - couldn't resist. think I've been sitting here too long : ) I've got more to add but it's a good start. You will said tabs directly under the EAT DRINK PAINT masthead at the top of this blog. Let me know what you think.

ARTLOVE: John Kenn One of my kids found his blog when doing an online search a couple of weeks ago. So cool. First I was drawn to his fabulous line work. I love Edward Gorey's drawings (his Gashlycrumb Tinies was a bit hit in college) and am over the moon with Maurice Sendak's illustrations. John (aka Don) Kenn is like their off-spring. BUT (and this is the quirky part that is all Kenns) he draws them on Post-it Notes. Love this! No need to be precious - grab what you can and draw! Kenn's been posting these mysteriously beautiful, odd small works since 2009 and he's just had a book published. The blurb under his masthead reads:
BORN IN DENMARK 1978. I WRITE AND DIRECT TELEVISION SHOWS FOR KIDS. I HAVE A SET OF TWINS AND NOT MUCH TIME FOR ANYTHING. BUT WHEN I HAVE TIME I DRAW MONSTERDRAWINGS ON POST-IT NOTES... IT IS A LITTLE WINDOW INTO A DIFFERENT WORLD, MADE ON OFFICE SUPPLIES.
Bravo!

7 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Your blog looks GREAT! It's always fun to get things the way you want them!
Also, fun to see the amazing post it note drawings.

Nicki said...

The blog is great Kim... I like this added feature. I've been trying to figure out how I want to handle showing available paintings and their prices. Especially since I don't have a website, which is something I should consider too. Good job tweaking and improving what was already a great blog.

And thank you for sharing today's ARTLOVE. What fantastic drawings. It is difficult to believe they are small. I think the yellow of the Post-it Notes is the perfect back-drop to these monsters.

Rebecca Malone said...

wow -- love LOVE those drawings by john kenn -- thanks for bringing him to our attention -- very cool!

Crystal Cook said...

I LOVE his art! It is very Tim Burton-esque, which is perhaps why you like him so much? I know we share a love for the man of creepy and great art!

Your new tabs are awesome, checked them out and saw so many lovelies again. :)))

CHRIS MURRAY said...

blog looks good-so did your lunch bags! Love John/Don Kenn. He's perfect for Twitter. I told him so.

Nancy Laliberte said...

Nice tabs! And I always love your "Art Love" series. It is like a mini art history lesson. : )

Pattie Wall said...

Hi Kim, I love how the tabs and that by clicking on the artpiece it takes you to the place where you can purchase that work. All your work has such lovely color and cool brushstrokes. I am going visiting this morning - and want to stop by John Kenn's blog. Paint on!!