Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day of plein air painting

Detail of Middletown farm

Middletown Farm / acrylic on birch panel

Concession 2 / 6" x 6" / acrylic on panel

Today I was painting outdoors and it was perfect weather! A crisp, golden autumn day. The first piece I did was Middletown Farm. It is almost finished though I may add a bit more to the sky. This piece was painted in acrylic using my fingers. In summer I had done a piece like this out of necessity (I forgot my brushes) but I had liked the freedom I felt so gave it another go. The support is a piece of gessoed birch panel with the scene sketched using willow charcoal. I forgot to measure the size but believe it is 18"x20". I'll confirm tomorrow.
The second piece was a scene around the corner. I was feeling pretty tired and my concentration was waning but I really wanted to record the scene.

Concession 2 / 6" x 6" / acrylic on panel / $75



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim. You paint very nicely with your fingers :^) I enjoyed seeing this. -Joe

Shirley Marshall said...

I like them both Kim .... your fingers have a very painterly touch which conveys your expression more directly. They have a very signature look.

Catherine Jeffrey said...

Love the blustery autumn feel. Hope I get the nerve to get out there soon. So many great scenes around here.