Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Holiday treasures - SOLD

So I did it again. I wanted to see what would happen if I painted the same scene a second time. Could I loosen up? Hmm. Usually I have a loose-ish style but it seems when I get a non-organic (and detailed) subject I tighten right up. I need to hit the books and do some more studying on how other artists handle this. Which do you prefer: todays or Mondays?
6" x 6" / oil on panel / $75
p.s. I forgot to reply to Richard (from Monday's comments). Although I have many wonderful ornaments filled with sentiment and nostalgia, I purchased these Monday morning because I was looking for ornaments to paint and they were really quite beautiful and mine are still packed deep in the closet : )

9 comments:

Starr said...

I like this one better... but I'm not sure if it's the style I or the color scheme that makes the difference. Sorry if that's not at all helpful :/

mary maxam said...

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas! I like em both and for different reasons. This one has that graphic, "let's shop" quality and the other is a bit more expressive. You do them both so well! (p.s.-love the birch)

Elizabeth Seaver said...

I think I like Monday's best. It seems looser to me. I always love to see the broad strokes in your backgrounds, Kim.

Karen Bruson said...

Nice, warm palette. Great subject.

Celeste Bergin said...

christmas-y!

Sandra Busby said...

Hmm... Good question! I like them both for different reasons. The first is looser - which is something I long to be able to do - and the jewels look more sparkley. But, I like the warmer palette you have used in this one - it seems more festive. It's hard to pick! I don't think I can! They are both good - just different :0)

Tammy Hext said...

I like mondays best.
Tam

beckielboo said...

I put them up side-by-side & said "pick one & it's your" - Still couldn't decide! I love Monday's for it's painterly loose style - I just can't seem to get there myself. But finally decided I like today's better because:
1- the warm color
2- the glass vase
3- the shadow through the glass vase
4- the larger ornament on the left

Thanks for asking, I'd ordinarily never critique someones work but this was fun! BTW - I still think both are great!
Beckie

Kim Rempel said...

Thanks a lot for your thoughtful comments! I appreciate them so much. It looks like viewers have it as a tie : ) The funny thing was I thought I would get LOOSER on the second attempt but the reverse happened. Weird!