Sunday, August 14, 2011

ART LOVE. "Pies, Pies, Pies" (1961) by Wayne Thiebaud


Pies, Pies, Pies (1961) by Wayne Thiebaud
Oil on canvas / 20 x 30 in (50.8 x 76.2 cm)

So this is what I'm now calling my former "Art I admire" segment. It started to sound kind of lame to me ; )
Anyway...what do you think of this piece? I adore Thiebaud's landscapes - in a BIG way - but I will spotlight them another day. Today I wanted to share pies. Enlarge the piece if you can, or search the image online and try to view it larger. Becasue it's really stunning! I could gaze at them for probably...15 minutes! Straight! He's applied great dashes of colour that surprise you and it all comes together for one marvellous, creamy, decadent painting. If my online sources are corrrect, this piece is at the Crocker Art Museum.
Love.






7 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

he's one of my heros. Love the painting

Linda Popple said...

Thiebaud is one of my favorites! I have a book that has this painting in it. I would love to see one of his paintings in person!

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

I was introduced Thiebaud's just recently by Alvin Richard, you should check out his latest painting, he painted a tribute to him. Anyway, yes I love this piece and I agree I like your name change to Art Love:)

Diane Hoeptner said...

Not surprised you are a fan of Thiebaud!! Me too, big time!

graziano tessarolo said...

mi piace molto...

jennifer woodburn said...

I hear you. His work is amazing. I got to see a retrospective of his work at the Palm Springs Art Gallery last year - it was unbelievable. Your desserts are delectable!

Barbara Muir said...

This looks like pie at a cafeteria,
or the sweet showcase in any good restaurant in Nova Scotia. The great colour slashes are superb, and the design of the painting.

XO Barbara