Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What fuels us?

Today was a day another layer was peeled off. In a good way. I had a long coffee date with an art friend and found it very inspiring. We spoke of insecurites, validations, inspirations, and blocks. And I left feeling excited, as I think she did, about wanting to really paint from deep inside. And it's tough to let go of people's perceptions and just let what you feel is bubbling below the surface come out. You're wandering down a path and you really don't know where the heck it's going. And then I received a painting I'd bought and it inspired me, and so I had a wonderful email chat with that artist. Feeling fueled, I went into the studio and began working over an old canvas I'd never really felt happy with. 
First it looked like this (minus the coral and lavender blotches. I thought of taking stages of photos a minute too late).
 Then I just got intuitive.
And shut off my brain and just let it flow. And I really felt energized and good. So this is what it looks like when I had to leave at the end of the day. The very first photo is a cropped chunk of this piece. I was still working and I didn't have time to take a perfect shot.  But I guess I just wanted to share and muse about the things we all go through, and this journey of exploration and investigation.
Cheers! 

15 comments:

Dana Cooper said...

Well stated, and beautifully painted Kim. We can sometimes get so caught up in what others expect from our art, we forget to express our own voice...at least I do.

Crystal Cook said...

WOW. I LOOOOOOOOVE that painting. And. I love this post. Love it. You are one amazing and inspiring person you know that? Why oh why do we live so far apart? Argh.

Seriously. I love this painting. It FEELS like it was painted from deep within. Frawesome, which is freaking-awesome. :)

martinealison said...

Cette nouvelle peinture me fait songer à des personnages vus de dos se promenant sous la pluie... Toutes les lumières se réfléchissent et se confondent... Une jolie peinture.
Gros bisous

Anonymous said...

NO! I loved that painting, I can't believe you painted over it. I would have bought it if that was the only way to stop you. ahhh

Nicki said...

I. LOVE. IT!!!!!! Yay for you! I am so happy that your day started as it did. And you seized the moment! Just look what you created! Kim, keep listening to that voice deep within and let that intuition flow... like a swirling river! You are "on fire"!

;o) Nicki

Nicki said...

I just did my post for the day... hope you don't mind I made a link to yours...

Cathleen Rehfeld said...

I love this new painting! : )

Brenda L. Murray said...

So great that you had those chats! It's so hard to get past thinking on to feeling. Thanks for sharing this.

Stephen Parker said...

This is spectacular, Kim. It's gorgeous. The range of soft, muted greens and neutrals against the strong darks and reds absolutely sing. Do more!

beckielboo said...

Kim, I'm not a huge fan of the abstract and I LOVE your painting. It is not just random brush strokes, it says so much and it really beautiful. I only wish I could have been with you having that coffee. That sounded like a wonderful wonderful chat - and yes, you have inspired me, too!
Beckie

Barbara Muir said...

I really like what you're doing here Kim. Super post. Feeling "energized and good" is the best sign that all is well. I love how brave and experimental you are. You inspire me.

XO Barbara

CHRIS MURRAY said...

I think you are an amazing painter and one of the things I like about you is that you go so many different ways so successfully.

Anonymous said...

This is so fun!!! Great shapes, great color contrasts, wonderful lines, movement and texture. Super job!

Ralph said...

wow very different from your usual I really really do like this marvellous painting.

Nora MacPhail said...

Thanks for sharing your process. I don't know if it would work with my watercolours.... perhaps... doing this kind of thing would help me branch (no pun intended!) out!
Happy Painting.