Saturday, July 9, 2011

ART LOVE: Death and the Mother by Käthe Kollwitz

I first learned about Käthe Kollwitz (1867-1945) in college as I was given her name for an art history assignment. Kollwitz was a German expressionist who drew, sculpted and was also a printmaker. There are many of her pieces that haunt me and give me chills. Is there anyone who captured the sorrow and suffering of post-war more powerfully than she did? I can't really pick one piece I favour above all others (Woman with Dead Child (1903) is devastating) but since this is the first one I remember seeing it is the one I've chosen to share. She had a fascinating life - I highly recommend looking her up. 
Note: I believe this is the proper title but seeing as I don't have an actual book with me I had to rely on the internet.

4 comments:

Celeste Bergin said...

she was a big influence on me when I was young too..such emotion with no fanfare. The one that stuck with me was "Death Grabs the Children" I remember I copied it in pencil and my Mother was worried about me being "grim" ..thanks for reminding me of all that. No, there has never been anyone like her!

Victoria Arnott said...

I just finished reading about her on Wikipedia. What an incredible woman and artist. Thanks for posting about her. It is great to find new and inspirational artists. :)

Barbara Muir said...

Thanks for this Kim,

XO Barbara

Anonymous said...

SCARY