Monday, July 25, 2011

The Seven Links Project

Crystal Cook, an exquisite painter (and I'm happy to say friend : ), tagged me in the 7 Links Project, which is "To unite bloggers (from all sectors) in a joint endeavor to share lessons learned and create a bank of long but not forgotten blog posts that deserve to see the light of day again."
Hmm! That's something to think about! 
Okay. Well, below are my top 7 links in these categories:
• Your most beautiful post
• Your most popular post
• Your most controversial post
• Your most helpful post
• A post whose success surprised you
• A post you feel didn't get the attention it deserved
• The post you are most proud of
I am to tag other bloggers and so it goes. I love this idea as everyone has posts that get overlooked or buried and are really quite gorgeous and informative! 


My most beautiful post: The Allsorts family
Okay, I spent a lot of time thinking what my most beautiful post was. If I were truly picking based strictly on "beautiful posts", I feel it would the tribute to my grandmother. I feel a strong attachment to her baby photo and of course her memory. But since this is a painting blog, I searched over my work. Yes, there are colourful, delicate flowers, snappy wine bottles...but what makes a painting beautiful? I went back to this piece I painted in February. It was original, a bit quirky and at the time I had said that it turned out just the way I wanted and it made me happy. That's what I strive for daily so choosing today, this is my pick (it could be entirely different next week!)


My most popular post: BLOW-OUT STUDIO SALE 
A whopping number of people visited that post. I guess everyone loves a sale : ) 

My most controversial post: MEN: 2
Hmm. Can't say I've really had one! Perhaps the painting that is the most controversial is the one I did of former Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Elliot Trudeau. Just because politics by nature is divisive. But I really love this one!


June pond, acrylic, 16" x 20"
Your most helpful post: Plein air with Laurie Wonfor Nolan - Day 1
I spoke about a tip Laurie gave me using mylar. And from the comments I know it really helped at least one painter ; )

A post whose success surprised you: Glass of lilacs
Hands down this one. I just didn't realize it would resonate with so many.

A post you feel didn't get the attention it deserved: Santa string
Just because I painted it in 2009 and I didn't have many followers. Not many people would have seen it and it's one I've always enjoyed. This is a painting of an old string of Santas made of pipe cleaner with plastic heads, holding bristly trees and wreaths. Probably from the 1930s. It belongs to my Dad (the string and the painting).


The post you are most proud of: Holiday table (a flower for Richard)
Because this was painted with equal parts reality, memory and intution. It's extremely difficult for me to do that kind of work and have it turn out so well. I wish I could regularly repeat it.


I tag the following blogs:
Barbara Muir
Cathleen Rehfeld
Dean Grey
H.W. Dixon
Karen Appleton
Lisa Daria
Suzanne Berry

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Kathy Cousart said...

Wonderful idea! I look forward to following those that you tagged and learning more. Very fun to see all your choices- they are all fabulous! Great way to have everyone think back and share.

martinealison said...

Une idée originale... Ce fut un véritable régal que de revoir vos oeuvres avec votre propre classement... Il n'est pas simple de faire des choix et d'étiqueter des sentiments. Vous le faites cependant si bien...
Gros bisous.

Audrey Hackman said...

Your work is just stunning!

Crystal Cook said...

Kim you are just so awesome. Do you know that? I love every single one of your posts and your blog is something I look forward to every day. I might not always comment but I always read and leave here feeling happier, more uplifted, and inspired. All of these paintings are beautiful and fit the description perfectly. :)

Sandra Busby said...

I have just done this one too - Isn't it fun? What a fabulous selection to see. Such a treat! I love the allsorts family too :0)

beckielboo said...

I would now have to place this as "Most Interesting Post"! I really enjoyed this Kim - Not that I would be able to do this myself! Great to re-visit some of your beautiful work!

Nicki said...

Kim,

I love all of your picks. I had so much fun doing this exercise, too. I remember your tribute to your grandma and it was beautiful. I'm glad you mentioned it and gave a link even though it wasn't your main pick for this category.

That glass of lilacs is still blowing my mind! I've gone back and looked at it several times since you first posted it and it's nice to see it again here.

Enjoy your day,
Nicki

Virginia Floyd said...

I loved reading about your choices and your reasons for thmm. Now I have to go read the others'.

suzanneberry said...

thanks so much for the tag kim! i really love this idea, getting to see past work is such a treat. i love the sentiment attached to your most beautiful and the santa string. lovely work, really just beautiful. bravo!!!

Virginia Floyd said...

I don't know if it's just me, but I couldn't get the links to work to the websites that you tagged.

Dean Grey said...

Kim!

Ah, what a unique idea!

Thanks for tagging me!

-Dean

Barbara Muir said...

Hi Kim,

Thanks so much for this. Sorry I couldn't respond from Nova Scotia.

I just love your work.

XO Barbara