Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Evening Chestnut in bloom - SOLD

This is the second piece I did last night in the balmy spring evening. Ever since I saw A.J. Casson's piece, Early Summer, Norval, 1928 and Lawren Harris's piece Chestnut Tree, House, Barrie, I have been wanting to capture a chestnut tree in bloom. Harris and Casson were members of the iconic Canadian band of painters, the Group of Seven who were AWESOME!

I painted a lot today but mostly on a commission piece. When it gets to the client-approved stage I will share it here : )

6" x 6" / oil on archival panel / $75

7 comments:

AK said...

You have managed to get the essentials with just a few bold strokes.

Gary Keimig said...

nice brush work Kim. Loved your sky painting several posts ago. The colors are right on.

LindaHunt said...

I agree your brush work is really nice...I have never seen this tree in bloom...are the blossoms similar to magnolia?

Kim Rempel said...

Thank you!

Linda, they are conical but made of tiny flowers. If you Google "horse chestnut tree flowers" you should get some good views.

I was just doing an online search and found the most beautiful painting of a chestnut tree by van Gogh! I had never seen this painting of his before. It is really a treasure!! ...Oh - just found more chestnut tress by him... But these ones include buildings. Look for his tree that is just sitting in a field. Marvelous. LOVE his work.

Shirley Marshall said...

This beautiful tree is full of character in your painting.

Linda Popple said...

Beautiful tree, Kim! Also fun to explore the other artists you mentioned. Now I am going to look for Van Gogh's tree.

Crystal Cook said...

Ok, how did I miss this one? Must have had a ditzy moment :)

Wow, your work is very inspiring to me. Every time I see one of your paintings, my fingers itch for a brush. I love that flash of pink in the sky :)